Book Details: Voyage from Venice to the Holy Sepulchre and Mount Sinai most copiously described, with drawings of countries, cities, ports and churches … –Niccolò Zoppino and Vincenzo di Paolo [Venice 1518]
– Photo documentation of the volume to assess its current condition.
Analysis of pages
– Manual dusting of pages with soft-bristled brushes.
– Disbinding of the volume by careful removal of the binding thread.
– Solubility testing and chromatic spot testing of illustrations.
– Washing of the pages with deionized water.
– Deacidification bath in calcium bicarbonate solution.
– Brush application of Tylose MH 300 P in 2% aqueous solution to the pages.
– Repairing rips and mending the pages with Japanese paper (Vangerow 517) and Japanese vellum (Vangerow 502) with Tylose MH 300 P in 4% aqueous solution.
– Detachment of the endpapers with hydroalcoholic solution.
– Sewing a new raised cord binding in pelle allumata fenduta.
– Creation of new backing in Japanese paper.
– Creation of new headbands in pelle allumata.
– Cleaning of the parchment covers with hydroalcoholic solution.
– Humidification of the parchment covers in a tent with cool ultrasound vapor.
– Smoothing of the covers.
– Restoration of parchment cover with Japanese paper (Vangerow 517) and cowhide